It's that time of year! Back to the school grind and I'm ready to go!
This summer flew by pretty quickly and felt jam packed that I didn't really process all that I did before jumping into school prep. So while I'm diving back into this next full semester, I wanted to take a moment and remind myself of all the lessons I learned (or rather, re-learned) the last few months:
- You can always learn something. Sure, I always say that and I mean it, too, but I learned that even when things might feel like "old hat," SURPRISE! There's something new that makes it a new lesson all over again.
- Don't overestimate "free time". I always think I'm going to do more with all the free time I have on my breaks and then I get really discouraged because I realize I can't do it all or see all the folks I want to. Time to really start planning and scheduling out those fun things to do or else they will seriously never get done.
- Let that stuff go. I have a tendency to dwell on what didn't happen but it's time to start letting that stuff go. Recognize it happened, accept it, and move. The only thing I can do about the past is learn from it and try better in the future.
- Take breaks! Your brain needs a break! I tend to get super focused on projects and then feel burned out which often leaves me little time to recover and rejuvenate before the next big thing. I'm learning slowly, very slowly, that I have to give myself that time for a break otherwise my brain will never be able to do a good job on the next project.
- Have Fun! If it's not fun then why the heck am I doing it? Sometimes I believe I'm doing something because it's what I "should" do or "ought" to do and as the great Jess Lively says, I'm just "shoulding" all over myself. Take a step back and remember why you're doing whatever it is your doing and find some joy in that!
Well, looks like I've got some great reminders to keep me going this coming semester! My break's over and it's time to knock out a few more to-do's!
Do you have any lessons to keep in mind this coming semester or season?